Second time’s a charm.
After about two hours of work, Matt and I built a door for the chicken coop. It’s gorgeous. And sturdy. And ready for install.
We started out by replacing all the 2-inch screws with 3-inch. Since everything was basically pre-drilled, this went by quickly. Before we went any further, Matt ran the frame out to the coop to see it it fit. Since I was still in my pajamas and slippers, I watched from the warmth of my kitchen window. When I saw the door slip into place, I opened the window and hooted. We had a door!
Next we cut wood braces out of 2x4s, and added them to the corners of the door. Initially we were going to just put them on the bottom half of the door, but then decided to make smaller braces for the top portion, too. Not only is this functional, I love the way it looks.
After I did a bit of touchup staining, we moved on to the mesh. Quickly a dilemma presented itself. The mesh was exactly the same width as the door: 36 inches. So we trimmed about five inches off, which is a tedious process using wire snips along 72 inches of mesh. It was so tedious, I let Matt tackle this part!
Once Matt stapled the mesh to the door, we took a step back and marveled our work. All that was left was to install it.
We pulled out the hinges. We bought fancy-pants kind that were spring loaded and closed the door on its own. The instructions were confusing, and it ended up that if we used them the door wouldn’t open up all the way. So we’re going to return those and get regular hinges (at probably half the price) I’ll run up to Menard’s tomorrow and swap them out.
As for the install, Matt offered to do it Christmas day.
I can’t think of a better present.